According to the American Academy of Periodontology half of adults suffer from some form of gum disease at this time. Gum disease is so prevalent that the majority of people will get gum disease at some point in their life. While many might not find gum disease to be serious, other disease such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease are associated with it. Gum diseases such as periodontal disease are caused by inflammation of the gums that then weakens the gum tissue and bone surrounding the teeth. Pockets of space develop that become infected and eventually you lose your teeth.
What You Can Do
Luckily, preventing gum disease is simple. If you take care of your teeth then you will have healthy teeth. Here are the things you can do to prevent gum disease and dental ailments.
- Reduce your sugar and starch intake.
- Use antiseptic mouthwash that will keep your mouth clean.
- Get regular dental check ups and cleanings at least twice a year.
- Brush thoroughly for a couple of minutes, twice a day to remove plaque.
- Floss every night or after every meal to remove food stuck between your teeth.
- Don’t smoke, because it will increase your chances of gum disease and oral cancer.
Try to keep your mouth as healthy as you can. If your gums become swollen, discolored or began bleeding you need to go to a dentist. Look out for any signs that something is wrong and get it treated early so that it doesn’t progress into serious gum disease. If you have periodontal gum disease or any other gum disease there are a couple of treatments that Greenspoint Dental provides.
Take care of your teeth so you can have them for years to come. If you suffer from any dental problems contact Greenspoint Dental to help you.