If you notice that your teeth aren’t as white as they used to be or have begun to fade to a yellow color you may be wanting to restore your smile. Naturally over time our teeth will begin to yellow, and that is perfectly normal. Even though it is perfectly normal, that doesn’t mean we have to accept it. There are many ways that we can get a brighter smile and reduce yellow discoloration on our teeth.
There are many layers to a tooth and the outer layer which is the enamel is the part of the tooth that is important to clean and take care of if you want white teeth. There are many things you can do to keep enamel strong which will prevent you from weak, easily stained teeth. If your teeth are yellowing then it can be caused by a variety of things.
- Due to genetics many people have slightly yellow teeth naturally
- Poor dental hygiene creates plaque build up that discolors teeth
- Consumption of coffee, tea, red wine or soda easily stain teeth
- Old age plus continuous use can lead to thinning enamel
- Using tobacco products damages enamel and begins to yellows teeth over time
- Excessive consumption of fluoride in mouthwash or prescription medicines can cause discoloration on your teeth.
If you want to prevent your teeth from staining or fading yellow, implement a good oral hygiene routine to help keep your teeth as clean as possible. Try to brush after each meal to reduce plaque build up which also gives gives you clean breath. Floss daily which will assist when you brush by removing any unwanted food particles in your mouth. See the dentist regularly for cleanings which will help keep your teeth clean and bright.
Having healthy white teeth is not impossible. If you want a bright smile contact Greenspoint Dental so we can help you with your dental needs.