As we age, our teeth tend to lose their bright white color. Years of consuming certain foods and drinks can cause staining and dull the whiteness of your smile. Growing older is a part of life, but losing your great smile doesn’t have to be. Lucky for you, we know the secrets to keeping your smile young and vibrant.
You’ve worked hard to keep your smile healthy, here are some tips to help brighten your smile as you age:
- Practice good oral hygiene. Brush and floss your teeth twice a day. At-home dental care won’t immediately whiten your smile, however it will keep future stains and buildup from appearing and keep your gums healthy.
- Avoid stain-causing food and drink. Try to avoid consuming products that will stain your teeth. Such as, coffee, wine, sodas, and other pick-me-ups. If you do consume any products that are known for staining teeth, use a straw to drink them.
- Eat a nutritious diet. Eating healthy foods not only benefits your overall health, but can benefit your oral health as well. The calcium in dairy products helps strengthen your tooth enamel and remineralize your teeth. Foods such as apple, celery, and leafy greens help clean teeth and rinse away plaque and other food particles. Other foods contain gum-strengthening nutrients that will keep your gums looking healthy.
- Regularly change your toothbrush. Many people forget that changing out their toothbrush is very beneficial to their oral health. You should change your toothbrush every three months or when the bristles start to look worn down. You should also change your toothbrush after any illness.
- Visit your dentist. You should regularly visit your dentist at least every six months for a professional cleaning. They can also identify any changes in your oral health.
Benefits of a Great Smile
Smiling not only boosts your mood, but when you aren’t afraid to show off your pearly whites, it boosts your self-esteem as well. Research shows that the better you feel about your smile, the better you feel about yourself.
If you’re embarrassed of your smile and don’t like to show your teeth, you may not notice it, but this impacts the way other people perceive you. Smiling at others gives off a positive message. When you smile, people are more likely to assume that you have positive qualities. When you try to avoid smiling at all costs, this can have a significant affect on your life and those around you. People may not find you very welcoming if you never smile, which may harm you in your professional career as well.
If you are looking to brighten your smile, contact Greenspoint Dental today. Our Zoom! teeth whitening procedure can whiten your teeth up to eight shades in one visit. This procedure is quick, painless, and the results are instantaneous. Now is a perfect time to restore your smile. If you have any questions about the Zoom! teeth whitening procedure, visit us today.