Dental bonding is a restorative dentistry procedure used to improve the appearance of teeth in order to restore a patient’s smile. It involves bonding tooth-colored composite resin to the tooth, which is activated with a special light source causing it to harden and set. This is then buffed and polished to the desired shape and finish.
It is a treatment option offered at Greenspoint Dental for a variety of problems: repairing teeth which are chipped, cracked or decaying, or by altering the appearance of teeth to close gaps, or make them look longer, and as an alternative to amalgam fillings.
Advantages of Dental Bonding
- Easy and inexpensive procedure—compared to other dental procedures.
- Unlike other cosmetic dental procedures, such as veneers or crowns, which must be made in a laboratory, dental bonding is carried out in one visit to the dentist.
- Dental bonding may also be used to fill cavities, which is much more aesthetically pleasing than silver fillings, as they match the color of the other teeth.
- They are far less damaging to teeth than silver fillings, which are very rigid, and may cause cracks in the tooth.
- Bonded teeth require no special care beyond good oral hygiene practices, which is recommended for all tooth and gum care anyway.
- Unless dental bonding is to be used to fill dental caries, no local anesthesia is required.
Dental Bonding Procedure
Dental bonding is a relatively simple and quick restorative dental procedure which is carried out in just one visit. First, if your procedure requires a local anesthetic, the dentist numbs the areas around the tooth.
As the composite resin needs a clean surface to bond to, the tooth surface is thoroughly cleaned to remove tartar and debris. The tooth is isolated with cotton rolls or a rubber dam, and the dentist chooses a shade of composite to apply. The tooth is then shaped by the dentist, and a gel is applied to the tooth, which provides a good surface for the composite to adhere to.
The composite resin is then applied and is activated to harden by exposure to a ‘curing light’. To achieve the desired texture and shape, the resin is applied in several thin layers before polishing and buffing to the required finish.
Dependent upon oral habits, dental bonding can last anywhere between 2 and 10 years. While it may not be as permanent as other cosmetic dentistry treatments, it is certainly a much quicker, more convenient and cheaper option to restoring a smile.
Contact Greenspoint Dental today to learn more about our Houston dental bonding procedures, and if they are right for you.