If you are finally ready to straighten your teeth and improve the look of your smile, you might be ready to seek orthodontic treatment. Choosing between Invisalign and Braces can be difficult. While both options will give you an improved smile, there are pros and cons to both orthodontic treatments. But don’t worry, we’ve got answers to all of your questions to provide the information needed to make an informed decision about this significant investment.
What are Braces?
Braces are a traditional orthodontic method used for correcting teeth. They are made up of brackets and archwires. The brackets are melded to the front of a patient’s teeth and hold the archwire in place. Braces apply gentle, consistent pressure to shift teeth into the desired positions. There are a few different types of braces; metal, clear, and lingual. They use different tactics for applying pressure to teeth. Some use ligatures, some use rubber bands, and others use separators. An orthodontist will recommend a specific type of braces based on their patient’s unique needs. Let’s dig into some of the pros and cons of this tried and true method.
- Quick Process
- More force to shift teeth
- Effective in severe dental cases
- Less expensive
- More likely to be covered by insurance
- Discomfort during application and wear
- Food Restrictions
- Noticeable aesthetically
- More difficult to clean
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a more modern approach to straightening teeth and improving your smile. Invisalign are clear trays that are designed to gradually shift teeth. They are worn throughout the day and night and can be taken out during eating. Invisalign are trays that are typically switched out every two to six weeks throughout the process as your teeth shift closer into the desired position. Invisalign is a great option for anyone wanting straighter teeth but who doesn’t want to wear unattractive and cumbersome braces. It’s great for adults in the work world as well as teens in high school or college students.
- Patients can remove trays for eating
- Easy to remove and easy to clean
- Custom-fit trays are typically less painful
- Requires Fewer office visits
- Discreet transparent look
- Removing trays too often can deem Invisalign ineffective
- More expensive than braces
- Can be ineffective in severe cases
- Some patients can have difficulty speaking or develop a lisp
- Many patients need to avoid hard foods
Questions to Ask Yourself
As you can see, braces and Invisalign are both great options for straightening teeth; and there are significant advantages and limitations of both methods. When choosing between the two, ask yourself:
- Does my insurance cover this method?
- How important is the price in determining my decision?
- How severe is my dental condition?
- How experienced is my orthodontist in each method?
- How quickly do I want to see results?
Schedule an Appointment!
Luckily, our team at Greenspoint Dental in Houston, Texas offers all the materials offered in braces and Invisalign for our orthodontic patients. Whether you are suffering from crooked teeth as an adult, or want to make orthodontic treatment a breeze for your teen, we can help you find the right fit for your unique needs. Schedule a consultation with our dedicated team of dental professionals and let us give you the smile of your dreams. Have further questions? Visit our dental blog for additional information on commonly asked dental questions.