If you have stubborn stains, or your smile just isn’t as bright as you’d like to be, you may have considered cosmetic dental procedures to improve the aesthetics of your teeth and overall smile. There are several types of dental procedures readily available on the market, that can improve the look and feel of your teeth. From veneers to teeth whitening, Greenspoint Dental provides long-lasting cosmetic dentistry services. We can help to demystify the nuances of these procedures and choose the best option for your unique aesthetic goals.
What Causes Teeth Stains?
There are many factors that can contribute to dull or yellow teeth discoloration. Some of the most common include:
- Age- as you age, your enamel naturally wears away, this exposes the lower layer of dentin, which is yellow in color
- Genetics- Genetics plays a huge factor in the color of your teeth. If you’ve taken all of the proper precautions and still aren’t pleased with your teeth’s appearance, it’s likely due to genetic factors out of your control.
- Smoking- While smoking causes a plethora of health issues, it effects your overall apperance as well. Smoking and tobacco use are one of the leading causes of stained teeth.
- Diet or certain drinks (coffee, red wine, sodas)- We all love a good cup of coffee, but if you’ve been enjoying your afternoon pick me up for years, it can definitely begin to stain your teeth.
- Lack of proper dental care- Teeth can darken or yellow over time if a patient foregoes routine brushing, flossing, and dental visits.
- Medications- Certain medications like antipsychotics, antihistamines, and antibiotics can discolor teeth when taken by younger people. Teeth discoloration in children can often be attributed to these medications.
What Professional Teeth Whitening Options Are Available?
Luckily, if you aren’t pleased with your smile’s appearance, there are a multitude of teeth-whitening options available. Teeth whitening methods vary in terms of effectiveness, ease of application, and price. As with any dental issue that you want to take seriously, we recommend seeing a professional. While over-the-counter teeth whitening options are abundant and inexpensive, professional cosmetic dentistry can give you dramatic and long-lasting results, on the first application. Some of our favorite professional teeth whitening methods include:
- Laser Teeth Whitening is a procedure in which a peroxide whitening gel is applied to the tooth’s surface and then activated by lasers which cause the gel to foam and, in turn, drastically whiten your teeth.
- Zoom! Teeth Whitening is a painless, one-hour procedure that provides immediate results. A whitening gel is applied to the tooth and is then activated by an LED light to provide your ideal shade.
- Bleaching is another common method used by dentists to whiten teeth in-office. Dentists create custom bleaching trays for their patients. Dentists often complete this process in one session, which typically takes about two hours.
How long does professional teeth whitening last?
While professional teeth whitening boasts immediate and lasting results, there is no concrete answer to how long the results will last. As with any procedure, everyone is different.
Most people can expect their teeth to remain bright and white for as little as 6 months to around five years. There are many factors that contribute to this wide range. Different teeth whitening methods have varying levels of bleaching compounds and dental routines after the procedure are extremely important to consider.
How to Prevent Tooth Discoloration
If you’ve invested in whitening your teeth, you should continue to invest in the results after the procedure. It’s really about building healthy habits to the improve longevity of your smile. Some common tactics to increase the effects of your procedure include:
- Consuming a rich, varied, and healthy diet
- Avoiding smoking
- Brushing your teeth after meals
- Flossing twice a day
- Drinking dark beverages with a straw
- Visiting your dentist for checkups every six months
If you take these simple steps you can expect to enjoy a long-lasting and dazzling smile for years after your teeth whitening procedure.
Schedule a consultation!
If you are ready to finally achieve the pearly-white smile of your dreams, please contact us at Greenspoint Dental in Houston, Texas. We have a friendly team of dental professionals dedicated to providing you with compassionate and quality service. We can’t wait to hear from you!